Friday, July 9, 2010

Its in there somewhere....

Yeah, thats a chart ... I made it a few days ago and havent gotten around to posting it here. Since then I have gone down another 1.5 lbs... I used the LiveStrong site to track my weight, and my calories. No not so I could go on a calorie restricted diet, no not so I could go on any diet actually, but just to see if what I thought was indeed true... and guess what, it is, or was at least for this past month. Im going to continue to track and see about this next cycle... cuz guess what, Im onto something here, and I have the sneaking suspicion it might just be the key to the whole darn kit-n-kaboodle for me.

I have thought my weight loss was closely linked to my hormones for a while now, in fact all spring since Ive been doing this. I have charted just this last month, and I was right. I have never gained weight without being in a hormonal state... pregnant. I have seven kids and have been pregnant 9 times losing two babies. I gain huge amounts of weight when I am pregnant, lose some after birth and then stall. I never gain more I just stall. Then when my normal cycle kicks in (if I get one since I tend to get preggers back to back) the hormone cyle starts all over again. If I get preggers I gain if I do not get preggers I lose like crazy with little to no effort for the first couple of weeks and then I ovulate and about 2-4 days later all holy hell breaks loose. I usually gain all of the weight I lost back, but not more.... until this time ;)

I noticed something about my eating. Ill call my period the first day of my cycle... on the first day of my cycle my eating shifts... I am hardly hungry, dont like food and what food I do choose to eat is actually healthy, low in fat and calories. I couldnt eat a big meal to save my life and sweets are not appetizing to me. I also am hyper, have a better mood, more social and fun. Then a couple of weeks in I ovulate and about 2-4 days after ovulation I can dramatically feel my mood and body change. I am crabby, I am so very tired I want to eat everything in sight and then some, I want fatty foods and in general anything I can consume. I gain all the weight back that I lost within the two weeks it takes to be back at the beginning of my cycle where it all starts all over again. Until this month.....

So I decided to fight it this month. It was miserable but I did it. I ate what I wanted to, just less of it. I still had all the things I wanted like ice cream and pasta and Mexican but I ate far less of it and walked away. So what did this do? I was able to hold my own for those two weeks. I fluctuated with a 2-4 lb gain but I held my own and low and behold it worked! As you can see from the chart I held steady and DIDNT gain the weight back like always! I lost 14.5 lbs last month which is good if you ask me. I am doing an official weigh in tomorrow but as of today I am down 17 lbs total and still losing. I was 269 on Sun/Mon and as of this morning I was 264.

There was no "exercise" other than moving more which is part of my plan but nothing structured with the exception of two walks early last month. I have been just moving more at all I do, during the time I am feeling like it, and eating less of what ever I want during the time I dont feel like moving if that makes any sense ))))

Im stickin with it... it seems to be workin ;)

3 comments:

  1. Back when I was still "blessed" with having periods, my first day was like everything finally just busted loose. The water weight would start to come off, the cravings would subside, and I would begin to feel normal—other than the cramps-again. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the losses! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that I'd do well on my diet for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks and then after that it's go to hell and I'd want to eat everything that wasn't nailed down. Like you, I'd undo just about all of the weight that I lost. I didn't know why, then one day it clicked that it was related to my cycle. UGH. Women have it SO hard with weight loss.

    ReplyDelete